Hello South Calgary Families,
It is with a heavy heart that I inform you the South Calgary Executive Board met yesterday and made the difficult decision to end the season. We feel this is the best decision for members given these unprecedented and uncertain times. The season closure is in alignment with our friends at Northwest, Bowview, and AA Ringette and many others in the surrounding Calgary area.
We have participated in numerous meetings with RAB, RC and other associations to ensure we made an informed decision. Many factors are not in our control and not in our favor:
- Deeper financial strain by increasing cost per player under current restrictions
- Ever-changing AHS guidelines and restrictions for Community Sport
- Risk tolerance including potential 10 to 24-day isolation requirements
- Coach strain, including on-ice logistics for staying physically distanced
- Ice availability and equitable allocation
- Risk uncertainty in waiting for what March may bring and if cohort-style models will even be approved
- Risk uncertainty of youth sports shutting down again on short notice
We are all disappointed the 2020-21 season has come to an end. We are especially saddened for our U19 players that are finishing their final season this way. Please continue to stick together as teams and as a community to support each other in staying healthy and active through these times.
Over the next week our board members will meet to coordinate end of season tasks. Part of this will include a discussion around the feasibility of a spring ringette season. Spring ringette will be dependent on volunteer willingness, then ice availability, then player interest.
Refunds will be processed after we receive our refunds from RAB, RC and our ice vendors. We have been advised RAB will need until the end of April to process refunds. SCRA refunds will be calculated by proportionately refunding players for the funds remaining from the season. Refunds will be applied to each player’s account as a credit. Anyone wishing to have their credit paid out by cheque can elect to do so. More information on this process will be provided at a later date.
I want to give a big thank you to our Executive Board and all of our volunteers who have worked tirelessly this season to provide the best possible season. Also, thank you all for being patient, understanding and supportive of the constant obstacles we have faced and tried to overcome this season.
You must be logged in to post a comment.