2021/22 Evaluation Process Summary
Please watch this page for details to be posted about player evaluations for the 2021/22 regular season.
Please be advised that all plans can quickly change as all levels of government, AHS, Ringette Canada, RAB and Ringette Calgary respond to the evolving COVID-19 situation.
The following are a few key points to note:
- Player evaluations for the 2021/22 season are expected to run approx Sept 1-15, 2021, with the older age groups to begin after Calgary AA Ringette tryouts conclude as usual.
- UAA testing for U10 – U14 skaters is expected to be required by RAB again this year. UAA sessions will likely be scheduled on the evenings of Sept 1-3. See the UAA section below for more info on the specific tests that are conducted.
- AS players will be evaluated at one ice time and placed on balanced teams.
- U10 players will be evaluated and placed on balanced teams in Step 1, Step 2 or Step 3 based on evaluation data and birth year.
- U12-U14 players will be evaluated and placed on tiered teams based on evaluation data. FT goalies in U12 and U14 will also have a goalie skills session.
- U16-U19 head coaches will be selected prior to evaluations to facilitate a draft process for assessing players and forming teams.
- Final placement of players is subject to the discretion of the Evaluation Committee and has the support of the South Calgary Ringette Association Board.
Returning from Calgary AA Ringette tryouts? Please contact our Registrar immediately to notify us if your player has been released from the Calgary AA Ringette tryouts. (Please see the info on our Registration page to register with SCRA and hold your spot at our association. We cannot guarantee space for late registrations.)
Please be considerate. Pre-season player assessments are a very stressful time for many of our young athletes and families. Parents are asked to remember the Respect in Sport principles and be considerate of the athletes, other parents and volunteers.
Concerns and questions during the Evaluations process should be directed to the Evaluations Coordinator. Parents are asked to use the 24 hour rule where possible: please wait 24 hours before sending any concerns. SCRA will not tolerate harassment toward any volunteers.
Friend Request forms will be accepted for players in AS and players who are new to the sport. As always, friend requests cannot be guaranteed. The form must be signed by both families and then submitted to your Age Group Coordinator before the final session of your player’s age group.
What is UAA Testing? UAA testing is mandated by RAB for all skaters in the U10 to U14 age groups. As per their tiering policy, RAB uses the UAA data to compare across the province and approve the teams each association has in each tier. This approval process is done to strive for comparative competitiveness across the province. Internally, SCRA uses the UAA data as a tool for sorting U10-U14 skaters into their first round evaluation session.
UAA Testing utilizes four different skill testing stations for skaters in U10-U14. Full-time goalies in U12/U14 do not attend the UAA testing sessions.
- Station 1: Forward & Backward Speed Skate (U10, U12, U14)
- Station 2: Agility Weave with a Ring (U10, U12, U14)
- Station 3: Parallel Start & Stop (U10, U12, U14)
- Station 4: Butterfly Transitional Skate (U12, U14)
Details of the UAA tests can be found on the Ringette Alberta website: https://ringettealberta.com/universal-athlete-assessment/