We are currently working through planning for the upcoming 2020/21 season including various contingency plans for our evaluations. We are awaiting further information from Ringette Alberta and the Alberta Government on the Return to Ringette guidelines at the end of June. In the meantime we are continuing with plans as usual for our 2020/21 evaluations and will notify members if plans need to be modified or scaled back.
Due to the Labour Day long weekend landing on Sept 7th this year, our traditional evaluation schedule will likely look a little different than previous years. If the season is able to proceed as usual, we are currently anticipating the following tentative schedule:
- UAA testing for U10 – U14 is currently planned for the evenings of Sept 2 – 4
- Evaluation sessions will begin with a full day on Labour Day Monday (Sept 7) and continue over the next week / weekend
- We expect to have teams formed and practices scheduled by Sept 17
While we are hopeful for the upcoming season, we want to advise that all of these plans can quickly change as the COVID-19 situation evolves. Please check back for further updates and details on our Evaluations for the 2020/21 season. Thank you for your patience.
- Evaluations are mandatory for all age groups, including the Universal Athletic Assessments for U10-U14. Every attempt should be made to attend. Athletes who do not attend evaluations are not automatically awarded a position on a desired team.
- AS-U14 will be evaluated and placed on teams based on evaluation results.
- U16-U19 will use a draft process to assess players and form teams.
- Final placement of players is subject to the discretion of the Evaluation Committee and has the support of the South Calgary Ringette Association Board.
Please be considerate. Evaluations are a very stressful time for many of our young athletes. Parents are asked to remember the Respect in Sport principles and be considerate of the athletes, other parents and volunteers. Please refrain from excessive cheering, yelling, and other disruptive behaviours during this process.
Concerns and questions during the Evaluations process should be directed to the Evaluations Coordinator, not to our Age Group Coordinators or evaluation volunteers. Parents are asked to use the 24 hour rule where possible: please wait 24 hours before sending any concerns. SCRA will not tolerate any harassment toward any of the volunteers. Disciplinary action will be taken.
Mandated by Ringette Alberta policy, UAA Testing utilizes four different skill testing stations. Skaters registered in U10 to U14 will be contacted directly with your assigned UAA Testing session. Full-time Goalies do not attend the UAA testing sessions.
► Details of the UAA tests can be found on the Ringette Alberta website: https://ringettealberta.com/universal-athlete-assessment/
- Station 1: Forward & Backward Speed Skate (U10, U12, U14)
- Station 2: Agility Weave with a Ring (U10, U12, U14)
- Station 3: Parallel Start & Stop (U10, U12, U14)
- Station 4: Butterfly Transitional Skate (U12, U14)
Friend Request forms will be accepted for players in AS and players who are new to the sport. As always, friend requests can not be guaranteed. The form must be signed by both families and then submitted to your Age Group Coordinator before the end of evaluations.
- Evaluations for full-time goalies in U12 – U19 consists of game play and may also include a skills session. (If your child is a skater and also signed up to be a part-time goalie (ie. 25-75%), they will evaluate as a skater and be placed on a team as a skater. They will also be invited to attend the Goalie Skills session so we have an idea of their ability, but it is not mandatory.) See the Evaluation Process Summary in the sections above for more info.
- As part of the U16 and U19 team draft process, head coaches will draft goalies for their respective teams, informed by evaluation results.
- As part of the U12A and U14A “Lock and Pick” process, head coaches will have the opportunity to pick their team’s goalie, informed by evaluation results.
- Remaining FT and PT goalies will be placed on teams within their age group based on evaluation results.
- Goalie equipment is provided to all teams in U12 and below (and to older teams as needed). If your child needs to borrow SCRA goalie gear for their evaluations, please contact our Evaluations Coordinator to let us know.
- To support and encourage our goalies, SCRA provides a goalie refund at the end of the season for goalies in age divisions U12 and up. The flat refund is $600 for full time goalies, and $250 for goalies that play 50% or more as confirmed by the head coach at the end of the season.