Questions? Please contact email@example.com.
Ringette Canada – “Coaching Ringette Goalies” Webinar
Join Ringette Canada on September 15, 2020 for a special goalie edition of their Coach Education Webinar Series! Keely Brown and Heather Konkin of will give helpful tips for coaching Ringette goalies. Topics of discussion will include preparation, warm-up, incorporating the goalies more intentionally into your practice plans, and the ringette goalie mentality. There will also be time for a question and answer period at the end of the presentation.
The webinar will be divided into two separate sessions: 1 – aimed towards coaches with older goalies (U14+); 2 – aimed towards coaches with younger goalies (U12 and below). Registration online: https://forms.gle/GRNBiGh1kCn6XtHi8
SCRA Goalie Clinics
To support the development of goalies, SCRA typically provides goalie clinics during the season to offer goalie specific training to all full time and part time goalies.
For the 2020/21 season, we are reviewing our ability to provide “socially distanced” goalie clinics or possibly utilize “Supplemental Instructors” (specialized instructors that remain at least 2 meters away) at practices to provide goalie training. Please stay tuned for further info.
Goalie Coaching Resources
- If your child is interested in trying the goalie position, why not encourage them to try something they might enjoy? Especially in the AS to U12 age groups, please avoid negative or fearful comments. We encourage you to set them up with positive support and language.
- Being a goalie is a physically demanding position that builds physical strength, stamina, agility, flexibility and mental resilience. Your child will continue to get lots of exercise as a goalie.
- Goalie equipment is provided to all teams in U12 and below (and to older teams as needed). Your Full-Time or Part-Time goalie is welcome to use the team gear. However, many FT goalies prefer to have their own gear that fits them properly and that they can use for other training sessions or off-season camps.
- To support and encourage our goalies, SCRA provides a goalie refund at the end of the season for goalies in age divisions U12 and up. The flat refund is $600 for FT goalies, and $250 for PT goalies that play 50% or more as confirmed by the head coach at the end of the season.
- If your child is registered as a PT goalie, it will depend on your team’s specific situation for how much playing time they will get in net. If you don’t have a FT goalie on your team, your PT goalie will likely get to play in net much more often. Talk to your coach.
- Encouraging as many goalies as possible at the Children’s Ringette (AS-U12) level is critical to address the shortage of goalies in the older age groups (U14-U19).
- In AS and U10, all players should be given the opportunity to play the position.
- In U12, even if your team has a FT goalie, it is strongly recommended that you encourage any PT goalies or other interested players on your team to play the position. (ie. serve as your team’s back up goalie instead of using an affiliate, attend the goalie clinics, dress as a second goalie for full-ice practices).
- See the Ringette Alberta website for their notes on Goaltender Development: https://ringettealberta.com/goaltender-development/