Questions? Please contact email@example.com.
Ringette Alberta – Goaltender Development Policy
- Encouraging as many goalies as possible at the Children’s Ringette (AS-U12) level is essential to address the critical shortage of FT goalies in the older age groups (U14-U19).
- In AS, U10 and U12, all players must be given the opportunity to play the position. Even if a team has a goalie who wants to play FT, teams are required to encourage any PT goalies or other interested players on the team to play the position.
- “At Active Start and U10, 25% of the total games played by their team on or before December 31st and 25% after December 31st”
- “At U12, 75% of the total games played by their team on or before December 31st and 75% after December 31st”
- See the Ringette Alberta website for more info:
- Goaltender Policy 27.0
- Goaltender Development: https://ringettealberta.com/goaltender-development/
SCRA Goalie Clinics & Coaching
To support the development of goalies, SCRA typically provides goalie clinics during the regular season to offer goalie specific training to all full time and part time goalies. Clinic details and sign-up info will be emailed to head coaches.
All teams are encouraged to have an Assistant Coach on their team staff that provides goalie coaching. SCRA also may assign younger teams with a Jr Coach who is a FT goalie to share their specialized expertise.
Goalie Coaching Resources
The following resources and links have been developed and curated by SCRA volunteers and coaches over the years. Please let us know if you have any other resources to share!
- goalie terms and skills
- goalie equipment guidelines
- goalie practice plans
- goalie drills
- goalie development – coaching tips (and video links)
- pregame goalie warmup
- goalie 5 R’s mental toughness
- Do ringette goalies butterfly?
- National Ringette School – goalie drills and other drills
- Beaconsfield Kirkland Ringette Association – goalie tips and drills VIDEOS
Goalie Parent FAQs
- If your child is interested in trying the goalie position, why not encourage them to try something they might enjoy? Especially in the AS to U12 age groups, please avoid projecting any negative or fearful comments. We encourage you to set them up with positive support and language.
- Being a goalie is a physically demanding position that builds physical strength, stamina, agility, flexibility and mental resilience. Your child will continue to get lots of exercise as a goalie.
- Goalie equipment is provided to all teams in AS-U12 (and to older teams if needed). Your goalie is welcome to use SCRA’s team gear. However, many FT goalies prefer to have their own gear that fits them properly and that they can use for other training sessions or off-season camps.
- SCRA provides a goalie incentive to support and encourage our goalies. FT goalies in U14-U19 receive a reduced registration fee, and PT goalies in U12 and up can apply for a incentive refund at the end of the season. See our Refund Policy page for info.
- If your child is registered as a PT goalie, it will depend on your team’s specific situation for how much playing time they will get in net. If you don’t have a FT goalie on your team, your PT goalie will likely get to play in net much more often. Talk to your coach.