Teams do not have to attend any out of town tournaments but most teams will choose to attend at least one. They are a fun way of bonding between players and parents. Here are a few tips:
- A list of sanctioned tournaments with application deadlines can be accessed on the Ringette Alberta website. You may want to ask parents which ones they would be interested in attending.
- Apply right away as there are closing dates to consider. Many tournaments fill up quickly and it can be difficult to get accepted.
- Be aware of the relevant Ringette Calgary and SCRA policies around Tournament Blocks, league game cancelations, and practice cancellations.
- Be sure to consider your team’s potential league playoff and provincial schedules before applying to tournaments in the 2nd half of the season.
- After your team has participated in a tournament, complete a Tournament Attendance Form on the Ringette Calgary website.
SCRA hosts two tournaments during the season which teams may choose to enter. Teams are responsible to cover the entry fee into these tournaments out of their team funds.
- Ava Esposito Memorial Tournament: October 11-13, 2019 at Spray Lakes (info will be posted soon)
- Ring in the Holidays Tournament: December 6-8, 2019 (info will be posted soon)
Esso Golden Ring Tournament
All SCRA teams are expected to enter Ringette Calgary’s Esso Golden Ring Tournament held in January each year in Calgary. Details about this tournament are available online at www.essogoldenring.ca. A few points to note:
- Teams are responsible to cover the entry fee into this tournament out of their team funds.
- Teams must provide volunteers to support the tournament, such as check-in table, scoresheet, timekeeper and shot clock volunteers. These roles may be considered for credits toward the SCRA Volunteer Bond. Managers will receive further information from the SCRA Volunteer Coordinator.
Ringette Calgary – Calgary City Championships
For the U12 and higher age divisions, the Ringette Calgary season will end with a city playoff tournament in February/March. Only Calgary teams (Zone 3) participate in these playoff games. A few points to note:
- The Ringette Calgary City Championship will include only Zone 3 teams and will be a double knockout series.
- Seeding will be determined based on team standings at the end of regular scheduled league games.
- For game reporting of City Championship games, please ensure that Game Results are reported within 4 hours of completion of the game.
- Be sure to familiarize yourself with all the information in the Ringette Calgary rules & regulations, and other resources on the Ringette Calgary website. www.ringettecalgary.ca
Provincial Playdowns and Provincial Championships
Teams in U14 and higher age divisions may choose to attend Ringette Alberta’s Provincial Playdowns. (Note: As of the 2019/20 season, U12 age divisions do not participate in Ringette Alberta provincials.)
Teams must submit their “Commitment to Attend” the Playdowns tournament (and Championships should they qualify) by December 15th. The online form is available on the Ringette Alberta website. Teams are responsible to cover the entry fee into this tournament out of their team funds.
Teams that qualify through the Playdowns will move on to participate in the Provincial Championships. There is an additional entry fee for this tournament which teams are responsible to cover out of their team funds.
Dates and locations for the Playdowns and Championships will be posted on the Ringette Alberta website. For more information on Provincials, please visit www.ringettealberta.com.
Ringette Calgary – Friendship Tournament
For AS and U10 teams, the Friendship Tournament is a fun way to wrap up the season. This fun tournament is typically held in early/mid March while the older age divisions are participating in Ringette Calgary City Playoffs and/or Ringette Alberta Provincials.
Teams are responsible to cover the entry fee for this tournament out of their team funds. Teams also traditionally exchange a small gift during the hand shake at the end of games (ie. some teams have handed out pencils, bookmarks, bracelets, etc.)